ELL teachers provide essential support to all students in their assigned division who have been identified as English Language Learners.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF THE JOB
- Work professionally to stay abreast of current philosophy and methods of language acquisition and instruction.
- Be familiar with benchmarks at each grade level.
- Be familiar with the WIDA framework and Can Do Descriptors by levels and by grades.
- Use observations, benchmarks, and WIDA Can Do Descriptors to individually assess each ELL to determine their specific needs.
- Create individual goals for each ELL based on data and analysis.
- Work with the principal, the ELL Coordinator, and teachers to develop suitable instructional materials and strategies to help each student meet his/her goals.
- Continuously assess students to monitor their progress and develop appropriate strategies based on their progress.
- Observe and give appropriate support during push-ins.
- Work with classroom teachers to support teaching practices for ELLs.
- Communicate with principals, teachers, and parents regarding ELL students’ progress as well as any concerns as they arise.
- Work with ELL aides to train them in classroom responsibilities and expectations.
- Attend meetings with parents of ELLs to build unity and understanding