A theater technical director coordinates all technical aspects of a theatrical production.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF THE JOB
The Technical Director (TD) works with the Production Director (PD) and may do any or all of the following:
- Operates and safeguards the technical assets of the theater, including supervising the use of lighting, sound, communications equipment, and the appropriate use and maintenance of stage facilities.
- In conjunction with the PD, determine the necessary technical support, such as lighting, sound, staging, and special needs necessary.
- Supervises and assists, as needed, with set and stage construction and management, therefore should have a knowledge of tools and equipment needed. (trouble-shooting)
- Assist in mobilizing, training and assignment of volunteer technical staff/students for individual shows, including orienting them on safety, technical characteristics and other areas of facility operations.
- Monitors the condition of equipment including lighting, sound, and tools; notifies Cadd Manager to arrange for the repair and replacement within budgetary constraints.
- Monitors Tech Week rehearsals, in order to supervise and assist in the technical aspects of the mounting of the show.
- Organizes and oversees production strike at close of the run of the show.